Disasters: 5 Items That May Save Your Life
Things can change drastically in a minute and with times changing, it is expected of us to be vigilant as well as prepared when disasters have called on you to do so. Today, it’s not enough to know basic precautions; we need to be ready with items that will also help us stay alive.
One thing we can easily do ahead of time to prep for the unexpected is have a supply kit on hand. Here are some of the tools that you need to prioritize in acquiring to be better equipped for an impending disaster.
- Self-powered Flashlights
- Have enough self-powered flashlights with you. In any disasters that may happen, this tool will prove itself to be very useful especially when all electrical outlets are down and batteries are running low. You will need these flashlights to help you get across any dark spaces. You wouldn’t need batteries to be able to use them, some of these flashlights are powered by sunlight, and some are charged manually which are called mechanically powered flashlight which you can then charge by muscle power.
- Updated Set of Maps
- Even though you’ve been living in an area for God know how long, it would be safe to pack a set of maps other than your area. This will be essentially helpful if you have to evacuate your current area and it is easier to take note of all the routes and detours you need to take in case of emergencies.
- First Aid Kit
- First Aid Kits are a must for many types of disasters and don’t you forget it! In dire situations, this will be the most necessary tool kit to have with you. Having this is a matter of life and death and who know the outcome if you do not have one of these with you when a disaster strikes. This kit will improve your chances in survival and staying alive.Your first aid kit should have the following items: Gauze pads, cleaning agent or antiseptic, at least three (3) pairs of gloves, Towelettes, sterile dressings and bandages, Pain relievers, ointment for burns, Tweezers and Scissors, Medical Tape, Hydrogen Peroxide (this is quite useful and it is also effective in carpet cleaning), Prescription Medications and over the counter medications.
- Self-powered Radio
- Assuming that you all have your phones charged to the fullest capacity, another advantage to have with you is a self-powered radio. This is something that you will need to have since it can give you information on the current events happening during the disaster and an emergency event. Most times, your phones will fail especially in a storm since it requires communication lines depending on your location. Radios are a good tool to have at home to relay information as it will act as an emergency communication services. Usually in a calamity or disastrous event, most people rely on their radios instead of their phone for updates and news.
- Your multi-tool has the same importance as your first aid kit and most multi-tool kits include a folding knife, matches and lighters, small saw and wood saw, hole punch, Philips and flat head screwdriver, pliers, wire cutter, sturdy scissors, and duct tape.
- Batteries? Check.
- Phones charged and ready? Check.
- Clothes? Check.
- Whistle? Check.
- Copies of your personal documents and enough cash? Check.
Aside from the extra set of non-perishable food and a gallon of water stored as rations, these five things will also be very helpful in preparation for a disaster.
Randolph Hoover and his family were originally from San Diego California but he is currently studying Business Administration in Umea University in Sweden. Aside from being a student, He also helps his parents with their home maintenance business in their home in Umea. He is also one of the marketing guys for Electrodry.
This article first appeared on American Preppers Network and may be copied under the following creative commons license. All links and images including the CC logo must remain intact.