Totally Gross Stuff Is Lurking in Your Water… and You Can’t See Any of It with the Naked Eye
By Frank Bates
When most of us think about dirty, contaminated water, we envision a murky, motionless pond or stream with algae floating on top. We would never even think about drinking that slop unless we were dying of thirst and had the world’s greatest water filter, but according to the World Health Organization, more than 3.4 million people die annually worldwide because of water supply, sanitation and hygiene issues that lead to diseases, infections and malnutrition.
If you think that you’re exempt because you live in the land of the free… think again. A recent study analyzed water systems in 100 major U.S. cities. They found more than 300 pollutants in the water supplied to over 250 million Americans. Contaminants included arsenic, lead and even perchlorate, a main ingredient in rocket fuel.
Here are some things you need to be concerned about regarding tap water and bottled water:
- Arsenic is an odorless and tasteless semi-metal element that enters our water supply from natural deposits in the earth, or from agricultural and industrial sites. It can cause skin damage, circulatory system problems and cancer.
- Fluoride is in the drinking water of 70 percent of U.S. cities, and can be found in bottled water. Many communities fluoridate water to help prevent tooth decay, but some say fluoride is linked to bone cancer and dementia. And a recent Harvard study proves that it lowers IQ in children.
- Heavy metals, such as lead, mercury and copper, frequently occur in drinking water. Higher amounts can cause reduced growth and development, organ damage, nervous system damage, arthritis, joint damage, kidney diseases and even death.
- Pharmaceuticals were found in the drinking water supplies of 24 major metropolitan areas, according to an Associated Press investigation. Antibiotics, body-changing hormones and other drugs pass through the body and the water supply (and remain even after undergoing wastewater treatments).
- The E. coli strain known as O157:H7 can show up in drinking water and can produce a powerful toxin that causes severe illness. E. coli comes from human and animal waste, and can enter bodies of water during rainfalls and snow melts.
Vaccinations have dramatically decreased polio worldwide, but it can still enter the body through the mouth due to contaminated water or food. It is usually fatal if nerve cells in the brain are attacked.
Bisphenol A, also known as BPA, is found in some plastic water bottles. It can seep into food and drinks, and has the potential to cause health risks. Fortunately, there are some good water filters out there, including one I’ve developed after seeing these dangerous – and unregulated – contaminants in the water supply.
The Alexapure Pro features an advanced-engineered, two-stage filter that removes up to 99.99 percent of contaminants including the really tough ones I mentioned above. Be careful which water filter you choose though, because while every-day filtration is a necessity when you’re dealing with those kinds of pollutants, things can get even worse in a crisis situation. You need to prepare and learn about this now, so that you’re ready when you need to be.
If you’re ever in a position where you need to find clean drinking water but don’t have a water filter, follow this advice:
- Avoid water near roadways or pavement, as it likely has oil and pollutants in it.
- Stay upstream of industrial facilities, mines and construction.
- Avoid water from farmland, as it might have dangerous amounts of fertilizer and pesticides in it.
Finally, here are a few more tips regarding your drinking water:
- Wash your reusable water bottle with hot, soapy water every day. Otherwise, bacteria can form.
- Don’t drink from shower heads. Bacteria forms here as well.
- Avoid bottled water with artificial sweeteners in it.
- Don’t drink too much water. Excessive amounts of water can lower sodium levels so much that your cells will begin to swell.
- Avoid caffeinated water. Depending on your body chemistry, this can cause problems when you drink too much of it.
In short – you might think you’re doing the right thing by increasing your water intake. And maybe you are. But do it right, and do it smart. Check out my Alexapure Pro for ideas on what to look for in a water filtration product, and to find out what’s lurking in your tap water. If you decide it’s not for you… totally fine! But use my homework to get you started. I’ve spent years looking for and developing the right water solution for my family and believe me… you do not want to go wrong when it comes to water: it is the most important thing to have in a crisis.
Frank Bates of 4Patriots LLC is the editor of the Patriot Alliance Messenger, as well as the content writer for blogs and articles at Patriot Headquarters. He is also the creator of Water4Patriots, featuring the Alexapure Pro tabletop water filtration system; Power4Patriots, a series of DIY solar videos and manuals; Food4Patriots, the supplier of emergency food suitable for long-term storage; SurvivalSeeds4Patriots, maker of the Liberty Seed Vault; Patriot Power Generator, a portable solar generator; and other products.